The youth in Negros Occidental will stage a silent protest against the proposed 300-megawatt coal-fired power plant in San Carlos City during the inauguration of Vice Governor and governor-elect Eugenio “Bong” Lacson on June 29.
Coleen Awit, one of the convenors of Youth for Climate Hope, said that youth protesters will gather at the Provincial Capitol grounds, where the inauguration rites will be held, to express their opposition on the coal-fired plant.
“It’s a silent protest. We don’t want to create a scene, in respect to the other officials. We will bring placards that say we don’t want coal in Negros,” she said.
She also said she is hoping that Lacson, former mayor of San Carlos, will also hear the side of the opposition. She reiterated that if the coal-fired power plant will push through, both public health and the environment would be compromised.
“While coal-fired power plant promises baseload power, it spews toxic substances and heavy metals that can have adverse effects to the surrounding communities,” she pointed out, adding that the coal ash from the power plant can gravely affect the people while its emissions would greatly contribute to the looming climate catastrophe.
She said, “if we truly desire a sustainable development for this province, it is highly imperative to push for a renewable transition…we should harness and maximize all the available renewable energy sources that we have in the country. After all, renewable energy is the only way to go.”
Outgoing Governor Alfredo Marañon Jr. had earlier issued an executive order declaring Negros Occidental a coal-free province. Lacson, on the other hand, had been firm on his stand that he will not get in the way of San Carlos if they will push for the project.
Local officials had said the city government is poised to gain P500 million every year from the proposed coal-fired power plant which can bring progress for the city.
Source: Visayas Today